Believing God

1. God is who He says He is!

2. God can do what He says He can do!
3. I am who God says I am!
4. I can do all things through Christ!
5. God’s word is alive and active in me!


     So I recently found an old Beth Moore Bible study that I never finished, and honestly, I don’t know if I will finish it now. I’m one of those people that just can’t make it through a devotion book, I just get bored with it. Anyways, I decided, at least for now, to go back and re-do it and it has already reminded me of a lot.
     The study is called “Believing God” which may sound simple, and it is, but it is something so many people, especially me, truly struggle with. It is easy to believe in God, however believing in God and believing God are two different things, and I think if we truly believed God, it would radically change our faith. Hopefully through this study, I will find out :-]
     Everyday in this study, she has us review our “5-statement pledge of faith”. That’s the 5 things I listed above. This seems simple right? But when I truly thought about those 5 things, I realized I struggled believing God more than I thought.


1. God is who He says He is
     I realized that I had forgotten who God was even supposed to be. He is all loving, yet just. All powerful, yet merciful. He holds the universe in his hands, yet he knows the number of all of our days. He can hear everyone’s prayers and truly cares about what we have to say. He sent his son, a part of himself, to earth to die for a people who would reject him. He has made the lame walk. He has made the blind see. He has made the mute talk. He has made the deaf hear. He has conquered death. He has control over the weather. All things were made by him, for him, and through him. And this is only the shore of the ocean of who our God is!
2. God can do what He says He can do!
     This principle involves trusting God to do what he says, and for me, this is pretty hard sometimes. Most people think I am a really trusting person, and in a way I am. But it is a surface level of trust. When it comes to really trusting someone, enough that if they don't come through I'm going to be dissapointed or hurt, well, let's just say I'm not so good with that. There is just something scary to me about giving someone else that power in your life, and it is something I have really noticed in my relationship with God through this bible study. It's almost like I am afraid that if I trust God to much, I could be dissapointed. But that goes back to believing that God is who He says He is! All these principles work together really. When we believe that God is who He says He is, then we believe that He can do what He says He can do! These are two things I am really working on. I kind of put God in my little box and stick him in my pocket. Most people say that they tend to run back to God when things get hard, but for some reason, I do the opposite. That's when I want to have the most control in my life. I feel like I'm starting to ramble though, so let's move on to the next principle. 3. I am who God says I am!
     This was a big one for me. At first, I thought, “Sure, I believe that”, but then I really sat and thought about it. If I truly believed that I am who God says I am, then I wouldn’t struggle with so many of the insecurities I face on a daily basis. God says we are fearfully and wonderfully made in his image, that we are perfect in his sight, so why do we(or at least I do) constantly cut ourselves down. I see this so much in myself and other girls/women. We aren’t happy about the way we look, yet this is the way God has created us! We don’t look at the sunset and say “Ya know God, just a little more red and a little less orange and that would have been one great sunset!” So why do we cut ourselves down? God sees us and sees a masterpiece, a work of art that he has created. Who are we to question his artistic abilities?
     Believing that I am who God says I am goes so much deeper than that though. According to the Bible, I am a conqueror and a co-heir with Christ! That just blows my mind! I have started trying to catch myself whenever I get down or insecure and remind myself that “I am who God says I am” and let me tell you, it has helped.
4. I can do all things through Christ!
     Again, just think about whether or not you truly believe this! I know I sure don’t live like I do….
5. God’s word is alive and active in me!
     We have to believe that what God promises us in scripture is true, but to do this, we first have to know what those promises are! I have really been noticing how I don’t have much scripture memorized, and I know this is about to sound super cheesy, but that is honestly the best way to combat the devil! If we have scripture constantly fresh in our minds, it will be pretty hard for the devil to break through and get to us!


Try remember these 5 things for a few days and see how it changes your life :-]

No comments:

Post a Comment